Non Metallic Pumps are appropriate for a wide range of industrial applications. The most often used Nonmetallic materials for pumps handling corrosive and aggressive chemicals. Corrosion resistance has been regarded as one of the most important characteristics of Non Metallic Pumps. However, their abrasion resistance and capacity to avoid metallic contamination of the substance they are pumping, so maintaining its purity, are also significant features.
The thermoplastics‘ chemical inertness, which allows them to be used across the pH spectrum, is even more important. This attribute simplifies the material selection process and increases the pump’s utility and service life in various applications. Non Metallic pumps are extensively employed in chemical, smelting, environmental protection, and other sectors because they are highly competitive in terms of corrosion and wear resistance and because their price is comparatively low compared to metal pumps.
Chemical compatibility is vast with Non Metallic pumps, which come in a strong, bolted design. They’re small and light, making them portable, and they’re usually less expensive than metal pumps. Polypropylene, conductive polypropylene, conductive PVDF, and PVDF Kynar make pumps. They’re employed in a variety of industries, such as the chemical industry, water treatment, automobile servicing, inks and adhesives, and so on.
Although Non metallic pumps may be used outside, they are more prone to damage if the temperature drops below freezing, hence they are best utilized indoors or in controlled situations. Furthermore, they are not UV-stabilized, which means that ultraviolet light might harm the substance. It is preferable if they are not exposed to direct sunlight for long periods. Pumps that are ATEX-compliant and groundable are also available in a variety of Non Metallic conductive materials.
STRUCTURE OF NON METALLIC PUMP
The spiral flow channel in the pump’s internal cavity collects liquid thrown from the impeller and directs it to the diffuser tube, which leads to the pump’s outlet. The diffuser tube’s liquid flow cross-section ranges from tiny to large, allowing it to convert some of the liquid’s kinetic energy into static pressure.
There are two types of pump bodies: integrated pump bodies and lined pump bodies. Integral pump bodies are only suited for small-calibre centrifugal pumps since the whole pump body is constructed of non-metallic materials. The term “lining pump body” refers to the fact that the pump body is made of cast iron and the lining layer is made of nonmetal. Pumps are commonly Single-stage volute pumps with a radially divided construction.
Non Metallic Pumps have three different types of impellers: open, semi-open, and closed. Closed impellers are best for transporting liquids with no solid particles, whereas open and semi-open impellers can handle liquids with solid particles. Impellers are divided into two categories: integral and lining. Because of its limited strength, the integrated impeller can only be used in small pumps. Because metal pieces are incorporated in the impeller’s liner, it has high strength.
SEAL RING (MOUTH RING)
Metal pumps usually come with a mouth ring, whereas Non Metal Pumps usually don’t. Instead, the operational clearance is adjusted by adjusting the axial clearance between the impeller and the pump body.
SHAFT AND BEARING
At one end of the pump shaft, the impeller is fixed, and at the other end, a connection is fitted. In non metallic pumps, the shaft and impeller are normally screwed together. pumps often use ball bearings that are greased with thin oil.
CHARACTERISTICS OF NON METALLIC PUMPS
- Non Metallic Pumps have different construction and substance than metal pumps, hence their performance characteristics are different as well. The pump body has a low resistance to pressure. Because non-metallic materials have lesser mechanical qualities than metals, such as tensile strength, bending strength, impact toughness, and hardness, Non Metallic Pumps have lower pressure resistance. The typical pump casing has a pressure resistance of 1.6 MPa. To boost mechanical strength, non-metallic materials can be reinforced with glass fibre or carbon fibre.
- Temperatures that are permissible for use Non metallic pumps‘ maximum operating temperature is substantially lower than that of metal pumps. Many variables restrict the temperature resistance range. The first is that as the temperature rises, the material’s strength decreases (some plastics seem brittle at low temperatures); the second is that the plastic’s thermal expansion coefficient is 2-6 times that of cast iron. The operating gap widens as the operating temperature rises. The third is that some plastics are prone to “creep,” and the size of the parts changes during continuous operation at higher temperatures; if it becomes smaller, the pump cannot operate safely, or the lining layer and the cast iron shell cannot fit well; and finally, some plastics are prone to “creep,” and the size of the parts changes during continuous operation at higher temperatures.
- Continuous flow at a minimum The temperature of the medium will rise and the pump will be destroyed if the pump is forced to function at a low flow rate. The pump’s minimum continuous flow rate is typically 30% of the rated flow. In that instance, the pump is not permitted to operate at less than 30% of its rated flow.
- When compared to metals, Non Metallic Pumps have superior corrosion resistance, and there are no corrosion forms such as crevice corrosion, pitting corrosion, selective corrosion, or galvanic corrosion that occur in metals. Stress cracking, which is analogous to metal stress corrosion, is common when plastic is exposed to tensile stress in certain corrosive conditions. Some organic solvents may cause plastics and rubber to bloat or disintegrate, thus caution should be exercised while using them.
- Industrial ceramics, wear-resistant rubber, and innovative high-performance engineering polymers are examples of Non Metallic Pumps with good wear resistance. Industrial ceramics offer the strongest wear resistance, but they are also the most delicate and prone to cracking. Rubber has excellent wear resistance. Rubber-lined pumps are the most common choice for transporting particle-laden medium. The downsides are that they age quickly and that the operating temperature is low, usually below 100°C. Abrasion resistance is also strong in ultra-high molecular weight polyethene and polyvinylidene fluoride, especially UHMWPE. In engineering plastics, MWPE is renowned as the king of wear resistance, and it may be employed as an abrasion-resistant pump material with high processing requirements.
ADVANTAGES OF NON METALLIC PUMPS
Despite the various benefits of Non Metallic Pumps, corrosion resistance was the most important feature, earning 58 percent of the votes. This chemical inertness allows a single pump to be used for the whole pH range of 1 to 14, as well as salts, halogens, solvents, and other hazardous substances. Abrasion resistance, especially when combined with corrosion resistance, was commonly stated as a reason to choose a Non Metallic pump. When it comes to high alloy and exotic metal pumps, cheaper maintenance, longer service life, prevention of metallic contamination, less weight, and lower cost have all been cited.
NON METALLIC PUMPS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL USE
Pumps have been around since the dawn of civilization, but plastic designs for industrial and other heavy-duty applications are relatively recent. The first such pumps were created in the post-World War II era, about the same time when synthetic materials were available. The pumps were widely employed in the chemical process and manufacturing industries due to their chemical inertness. In the environmental business, where are Non metallic pumps used? pumps are employed at their facilities in water, wastewater treatment, and other environmental applications, according to the vast majority of respondents (more than 97 percent).
Kiron Hydraulic Needs Private Limited is happy to work with some of the industry’s leading Non metallic pump manufacturers, March Pumps, to provide a wide range of non metallic pumps for practically any industrial process application. Our Non Metallic pumps are very dependable, allowing businesses to maximize production uptime.